Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My "birth" day

Well, today I am officially me. And I am probably going to start a trend in my small town of rural Arkansas! If you'll remember about a couple of months ago, I went to the DMV to get my driver's license changed since the loan officer said I had to do it due to the Patriot Act (which is a bunch of bull). However, I conceded in my own fashion. I went down there to have it changed only to be met with dumb-founded looks and confusion. You see, I was wanting to hyphenate my last name, meaning I wanted to keep my maiden name and add my married name. Being in the very tight Bible belt that I live in, that is such a foreign experience here. So, they told me I couldn't do it, I would have to have 2 middle names. I went along with this thinking it would still work out alright, but then a friend at the Social Security office told me that was not right. Because everything would file under my married name, not my maiden name which would technically come first. Well, I just haven't had the chance to change my license yet, but found myself with a few extra minutes today and decided to get this issue taken care of. So, I walk into the DMV today and here's how the situation went:

Me: Hi, I need to make a correction to my driver's license.....I proceed to explain the above situation.
Lady at DMV: I am sorry I don't understand. You want two last names?
Me: Yes, I would like to hyphenate my last name with the combination of my maiden name and married name.
Lady at DMV: Well, I just don't get what you are trying to say. Here write it on this piece of paper.
Me: (Wondering if I am suddenly speaking Pig Latin or something) Ok, here's what I am wanting to do.... I want it to look like this. (Here's an example of what I wrote)
JANE MARIE DAVIS-SMITH
Me: See, I want to combine my maiden name with the married one, and NOT have two middle names.
Lady at DMV: OH, well, I don't think we can do that! (Yells at lady down the aisle from her) SUE, CAN WE HYPHENATE NAMES?
Other DMV Lady: I don't know, call the Help Center.

So, the lady proceeds to call the Help Center and guess what? THEY CAN! Isn't that phenomenal? So, I am pleased to announce that I am the first person in "small town" Arkansas that gets a driver's license with her name hyphenated! And if my boobs are any indication of what will happen, I have a feeling we will see this trend spread rather quickly throughout the suburbs of our little town! :)

No comments: