Thursday, December 03, 2009

I'm Gonna Miss Her

Today I went to my Aunt Lois' funeral. She was such a special lady to everyone who met her and I have such great memories of her when I was a kid. During the summertime when I would go to visit my real Dad, I would often stay at her house with another cousin of mine and we had such a blast listening to DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, playing in my aunt's make-up and hair stuff, dressing up in some of her clothes. She would play dominoes with us, cards, and watch movies. I never, ever saw that woman get mad--in fact, I can still see that sweet smile that would cross her face when she looked at you. I am embarrassed to say that the last time I saw her was when Kylie was a baby. I was on maternity leave then and took Kylie to the nursing home where she was at. That made her day! She loved seeing my daughter and getting a chance to catch up. I still remember that visit--she was a hoot telling stories about herself (heck, even things I didn't know!) and remembering the old days. In these last few years though, she had lost her eyesight and she wasn't able to really remember people very well anymore. I couldn't stand to see her like that--I wanted the Aunt Lois I knew to be the one who came and opened the gate so that her doberman dogs didn't get out!
It was so surreal being at her funeral today because I don't actually visit with my dad's family a lot. And although we're all a lot older, when I saw the different family members (mainly all of my cousins) that came, I instantly saw them as the kids I remembered years ago. Boy, how we have all gotten older though! I can't even describe the day really--I mean we aren't all supposed to have kids yet, we are still supposed to be kids ourselves! Time goes by so fast--we change so much over the years. There are days I wish I could have some of that time back....I would go visit Aunt Lois one more time. I would call my Dad a little more often. I would stop by my grandparents house and visit more. But I don't have that time back--so I hope I can make the most of the time that's left.

No comments: