Tuesday, February 08, 2011

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

So, tonight was my class that I teach.  We missed last Tuesday due to weather, so we are making up that time (a 4.5 hr class!!) by staying late each week for the next 3 weeks. UGH! Anyway, I have had some issues in class that I have tried to let slide, but they have bothered me a bit.  I have really tried to be accommodating without eroding the integrity of the class and master's program, but I have felt that a few students have been out of line a little bit.  So, I decided to talk with Director--I have hesitated, I didn't want her to think I couldn't handle the class, but I finally decided she needed to be aware of the situation in case it escalated.  She was SO understanding, very disappointed in some of the students and told me I had her full support with how I chose to handle the situation.  And the meeting with her  couldn't have come at a better time.  I left her office and went into class.  There's one man in particular that has been disrespectful.  Well, we hadn't been in class for 10 minutes when he decided to be a jerk about a particular assignment.  I had had enough.  Knowing my Director was aware and supporting me made all the difference in my confidence level--I decided to address the situation immediately in front of the whole class.  And I am SO glad I did....the entire dynamic of the classroom changed from that moment on.  The rest of the class was very supportive and offered such kind words and the man even changed his attitude as well!  It was something I probably should've done from the beginning, but being new to teaching a college course, I have tried to not get too upset over things.  I have learned my lesson--I need to speak up sooner! I had one woman after class tell me she was very impressed with the way I handled myself--she said she admired my ability to keep my composure while dealing with such a difficult situation! It made me feel SO good! I have thoroughly enjoyed teaching this semester except for the few instances of disrespect and I decided tonight that I wasn't going to let that ruin my experience!

No comments: