Sunday, January 23, 2011

Lessons in Leadership

Our church is doing a series on leadership which couldn't have come at a better time since I am teaching a leadership course.  The pastor said something today that I immediately had to write down. "A {good} leader knows the need ALWAYS outweighs the cost." I LOVED this quote...for so many reasons.  First of all, there have been a few situations in my life where I have taken the "unpopular" stand and chose the need before the cost.  And you know what? I would do the same thing again if given the chance.  The biblical reference he gave was 1 Thessalonians 2:4.  He summed up this verse with this--we are NOT here to please man. I am not perfect at all, but at the end of the day, I want to know that the decisions I make are for the right reasons, not necessarily the popular reasons.  Some of my decisions based on need have cost me friendships, money, and success, but they have always left me with a clear conscience.  And the times I put the cost before the need?  I have been left with scars--lessons I have learned from and experiences that have made an impression on my heart.
When we move into our new home, I told Richie, I am going to get a sign made that has that quote on it.  I want it to serve as a reminder when I am faced with that choice of what it could cost me versus what I need to do, that I remember which one I should always choose.

No comments: