Thursday, January 13, 2011

Desperate Housewives Religion

So, I watched my DVR'd episode of last week's Desperate Housewives and I got a little dose of religion at the same time...stop laughing. :)
But Bree and her Pastor got in a bible verse war and I learned one that hit me right square between the eyes. OUCH!

14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. Matthew 6:14-15

When I heard that verse, I just sank in my chair. UGH. I knew what I had to do. You've heard me hint at an issue that has weighed very heavily on my heart for about a year or so. And I keep telling myself I forgive these people. But, I find myself forgiving them 20 times a day. Why? Because 5 minutes after I "forgive" them the bitterness and resentment just comes pouring over me. But, when I heard that verse it really hit me. I HAVE to truly, truly forgive them. And not for them, but for me. I have to get rid of my bitterness and resentment because it's bothering me, not them. So, after hearing that verse, I realized that if God forgave me like I forgive others (saying it, but still bringing it up 5 minutes later), then I would be miserable. I guess part of me wanted them to apologize, but that's not gonna happen. And honestly, that's not what forgiveness is about anyway.
So, I asked God for an opportunity to show them my forgiveness.....so, here goes.
And it wasn't just DH episode that made the difference. I had a talk with a sweet friend the other day that really touched my heart. I appreciate her strong grounding in her faith. Thanks T!

No comments: