Saturday, November 14, 2009

Black Nails and Skunk Smells!


These are just two things my husband is not loving right now! A few days ago I got a hankering to paint my nails black--it seems everyone I see on TV has theirs painted black and I wanted to give it a try. So yesterday, I painted them--well, my husband noticed them and was like, "Are you going goth??" UM NO! It's called stylish my dear!! Anyway, he's not too fond of them....oh well, that's the good thing about nail polish, it's removable. But I think I will keep them a few more days 'cause I kind of like them!
So, we went to the Gwd football game last night (Landen's first football game) and it was such a blow-out. We ended up leaving early because Richie wanted to get all of his hunting gear ready for today and we were bored with the game, not to mention Landen was getting hungry. We get home and start getting some things done and we are FIVE MINUTES away from bedtime. Richie asks Andy (the family dog) if he wants to go outside and pee-pee before bed. I hear him open the back door to let him out and then I hear him yell at Andy in a very panicked, loud voice. I knew something bad was wrong. We had just been talking about coyotes in the area. I just knew that's what it was. So, I ran to the back window to look outside and what do I see? Not a coyote...a skunk. Spraying the INDOOR dog. And standing on my back patio doing it. GREAT. LOVELY. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. What luck.
I couldn't believe it--I was furious beyond my little mind's ability. A skunk? A skunk! About that time, Richie comes in holding Andy...and so does the smell. Andy had gotten sprayed in the face. So, we are staring at each other in silence wondering what to do. I told him I would Google some possible solutions. I found this recipe: 1/4 C baking soda, a squeeze of dishing washing liquid, and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. There was also a recommendation to bathe them in mouthwash. We did both--no need to be picky. Richie jumped in the shower with the dog and scrubbed and scrubbed. He opened the shower door to grab something and out runs Andy and heads for the closet where his bed AND our clothes are and proceeds to shake. Twice. LOVELY. Well, the dog smells much better. But the house reeks! I have no clue how to get it out of the brand new house! I googled that too. There are suggestions to put coffee grounds out around the house. There was also a suggestion to boil apple cider vinegar on the stove or put it in a spray bottle. Kind of sounds like stepping on someone's toe to rid them of a headache (a close race as to which smell is worse to deal with).
So, I will open some windows, boil some vinegar, and set out some coffee grounds. Wonder what my house will smell like now?

No comments: