Thursday, July 28, 2011

4th of July 5K!

I had my one year anniversary of running 5k races on the 4th of July! Last July, my time was 31 minutes and I knew I could beat that, so I set a goal of 28:14 or better for myself since that was my time on the same course in December at the Yule Run.  Well, I ended up running it in 28:47.  I was disappointed! :( But it was pretty hot! However, Weston ran his first 5k with me that day! He trained for about a month and the whole time he was nervous that he would get lost during the race.  I kept telling him, "Mom will be in front of you and if you run during the race, then there will always be someone behind you, so you will be just fine." WELL, HE FINISHED BEFORE ME! He caught up with me about the first mile and stayed with me until about the last mile.  I could tell he was holding back so I told him to go for it! He finished with a time of 28:15! I was just so proud of him! Also, my Uncle Kenneth who has Parkinson's Disease ran the race as well! I was so proud of him for finishing the race. He is 70 years old and has ran races all of his life.  After he was diagnosed, he took a little break from running and made his comeback at this race.  His son came to watch him, too.  I had tears in my eyes when I saw him there to run!  My Uncle Lionel also ran, so we made the race a family affair! :)
After the race, I took the kids down to the square for the Freedom Fest. I only managed to take one picture at the festival because I had my hands full with the 3 of them! I was able to snap a picture of Landen's first horseback ride! He loved it!
 Later that evening, Richie and I brought Landen back down to see the fireworks.  At first he was scared, but then he started to enjoy them.  Fun Day all around! :)
The Family Run

Me and Laura--Before

Me and Laura--After

Landen on Horseback!




1 comment:

Jen S. said...

Hi Tara!
That's cool you guys did the race. Good for you! Tell Weston way to go..that's awesome! And that's neat about your Uncle Kenneth running in the race too.
Sounds like everyone had a real nice day. Even Landen had fun riding the little horse :)