Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Birds and the Bees? More Like Lions and Tigers and Bears!!

Last week at Weston's school, the 5th graders were supposed to have the "health development" class with the school nurse and counselors.  Well, supposedly some parents complained and so they cancelled it.  Which that totally confuses me--we had the same class when I was in the 5th grade! Plus, in today's society I would love for my children to get a "clean" version of the birds and the bees from healthcare and psychological professionals!  Don't get me wrong, I had planned to have my own discussion with them to help them tie a biblical understanding as well as answer questions.
Well, because they cancelled it, I felt like I shouldn't leave the topic undiscussed.  When Weston told me they cancelled the class, I asked him if he knew what it was about.  He said, "yeah, they tell you to wear deodorant and take showers."  Cute kid.  So innocent.  Until his Momma decided to take a stab at it.
I asked him a lot of questions to gauge where he was at in his understanding...level ZERO.  The poor kid had no clue--genuinely none.
So, we started talking.  And at first he was cracking jokes and taking it all pretty well.  I was helping him understand what the girls were going to discuss and he said, "who cares, what's that got to do with me?"
Then, he made a couple of other jokes, but for the purpose of keeping this post G rated, I'll leave them out.  Don't get me wrong, he wasn't trying to be gross, just showing his lack of understanding....
Anyway, we get to the "mechanics" of the conversation and he says, "I don't think I want to know this Mom!!" We finished the conversation and he gets up from the table, starts crying and runs to his room.
I have officially scarred my child.  Great.
Dear School--Please don't cancel that class anymore!!!

1 comment:

Jen S. said...

Oh noooooo!!! I remember so well the day Jeven and all the other 5th graders had their "talk" at school a few years ago. She handled it well. Of course they seperate the boys and girls to have the talk. Since I work at the school, some of us school aides and teachers were chit-chatting about it. The teachers who give the talks told us that there's always giggling (from the boys AND the girls!) that happens each year they give the talk. What a hard thing to do for the ones giving the talk!
You are a very brave gal and I am very proud of you! Way to go! :)