Friday, May 26, 2006

Isla Mujeres

Well, I haven't blogged in a couple of days and I would love to say it is because I have been so incredibly busy that I haven't had a chance, however, it's actually due to being lazy and relaxing with a cold drink and the hot sun mixed with a little sand!
Wednesday, Kylie and I went to the pool for awhile and she splashed and played and had a grand time. Then we headed down to the beach when the boys got back from golfing and hung out by the ocean. Well, Kylie got incredibly sunburnt and ended up looking like a miniature lobster. In fact, she is so burnt that she cries in the middle of the night in pain...I know, bad Mom.
Yesterday, I joined the guys again for a round of golf and actually played better. I decided that I was going to figure out how to play decently enough to have fond memories of the course. So, I choked down on the golf clubs (it was either that or choke my husband) and actually hit the ball!
Then, that afternoon we went to downtown Cancun for some shopping. I think the most memorable part was seeing the hurricane damage and realizing the vast impact that hotel row experienced....I was shocked.
Today, it was off to Isla Mujeres minus the kids! Talk about the best day of the trip so far...we had such a great time. We hooked up with a couple from Washington state and hung out on the island. First, we soaked up the sun with a few drinks, then we ventured to the other side of the island for a little shopping. I love the look and ambiance of the villas. It is beautiful with the bright colored buildings and I love how the shops are all open fronts where people sit outside and entice you to come in. We walked by a cemetery and I went inside. Their cemeteries are much different than ours! It was all above ground and on each tomb were little houses almost where they lay their offerings to the dead. The tombs vary in color, etc. There is no rhyme or reason to the lay out--in fact it is cluttered almost. But beautiful.
I can't mention the Isla trip without talking about the ferry ride out there and back. The "tour guides" were absolutely hilarious. It was one big party on the boat...they played all kinds of music and danced for us, dressed in super hero costumes, and sang. You haven't heard Margaritaville until you have heard it sung with a Mexican accent (that and Grease Lightning)! I loved it!
Well, tomorrow is our last full day and I must say I am sad...sad to return to the "real world" of work and school. However, we have had a grand time here.
We plan to take family pictures tomorrow that we can include on our Christmas cards this year.
Oh, and I checked on Sally (our dog) and no puppies have been born yet, however the vet anticipates their arrival any day, so it looks like we will have them before we return home.

Hasta la vista....

No comments: