Wednesday, February 06, 2008

My Blind Date

Tonight, I am meeting someone for dinner. We've never met face-to-face, but we've chatted on the phone briefly. It's my first time to meet someone like this. But it was my idea--I want to get to know this person because I have a feeling we could be spending a lot more time together. I want this person to even eventually meet my kids. But first I want to meet this person to see what I think. No, I am not cheating on Richie. It's not even a man. It's a woman. Some might call her the "other" woman. It's Kyle's girlfriend. I have had mixed emotions about this day for awhile. What will she think of me? What if she doesn't like me? What if my kids love her more than me one day? You name it, the thought has crossed my mind. I have looked forward to this day and dreaded this day all in the same breath. My kids could potentially have "another" Mom in their life and it scares me to death.
I have to say that our phone conversation the other night was so pleasant. She is a sweet woman, with a wonderful heart, who seems genuine. I told her I prayed about her. I told her I wanted God to bring a great woman to Kyle, but that I selfishly asked that she be someone that would understand the hardship I feel. She does. She has 3 kids of her own and she's experiencing the same thing with her children and ex-husband. She agreed to have dinner with me--just the two of us, so that we can get to know each other without everyone watching us. We want to talk and hang out by ourselves, so that when family is around, the awkwardness is gone. There won't be any insecurity.
Some people have shook their heads in disbelief at the thought of the two of us having dinner. Others think it's a great idea. We both think it's going to be a little difficult at first, but we are committed to starting this relationship off on the right foot. We want to work together, not be pitted against each other. If there's anything I learned in my last marriage, it's that family plays a big role in the happiness of your marriage. I also learned that first impressions are lasting impressions.
I have to say that so far I can't imagine anyone else I would rather have in my children's life. She seems to be a great woman who sincerely wants to do what's best for me, my kids, and Kyle. I hope that tonight is the start of a great relationship, a potential friendship, and the beginning of a great partnership in raising our kids.

No comments: